Apr 14, 2012

Funny Farm


It's official. I live on a Funny Farm.

What has happened??
I was worried one day it would come to this...


I really can't believe we have chickens. Real live chickens.
Four of them, and more to come once the eggs hatch at my FIL's house. Then, depending on how many roosters we end up with, the hubby will go out and add to the flock. Not sure how many we can house properly, as the coup is not built yet. I've been assured it will be comfortable for at least the 7 chickens we are already planning. The hubby is better at doing than explaining, so I can't wait to see what he comes up with!

In my head, I think it will look something like this...


Worst case senario it will look something like this...





Oh my...what I have I gotten myself into?!?


Now, don't get me wrong...I am the mom of this little family, so I do pull some weight around here.
It wouldn't be so if momma said no, but truth is, momma kinda likes having all the animals around...
(oooh no... Did I really just admit that?? Oops, I guess secret's out then... I really do {heart} animals. Well, most of 'em at least ;)

Hence the rotating arsenal of cages and kennels, leashes and heat lamps, scaled and furry four legged friends that steal our hearts. We currently share our home with two dogs, Pig-e &Heffe, 1 gecko, 2 fish, and now, 4 chickens. If we owned our house, we would probably have a few mini goats by now too! Ya, we're kinda crazy like that...

Pig-e our female doggie is our oldest pet, approaching 13yrs this September. You can read more about her here.

Our iguana Lizzie was our second oldest pet at approx. 8yrs old, and she was our pet for 7 years. She passed just this last February and we are still not really sure why. We miss her, sometimes.

Heffe is our male doggie, and is next in line in our family. He is a fun and curious guy, who just turned 4 in May. You can read more about him here.

The two reasons we got chickens are 1-the eggs, 2- for Vida's experience. We have the room out back, and it is kinda the thing to do these days anyway, so why not?! And, man, they are sooo cute ;) We don't have any names for them yet...







Truth is though, I do have my limits with the animals.
I really can't handle living with hamsters, guinea pigs, rats, mice, inside birds, and snakes. Cats are another one of my no animals, but my daughter has an accute facination with them, so, I know some day we will have a feline in our household, much to my dismay.

My hubby, not so much.
He is a bleeding heart when it comes to animals. He will bring home any and every stray of any type if I would let him! I might have to start enforcing the 24 hour rule on any new 'adoptions'.

For now, we will have fun watching our chicks grow fast!
Any suggestions for names?


3 comments:

beckieM said...

LUCY = MARILYN = GINGER (rogers) = BETTY (rubble) = WILMA .... the list could go on & on ..... and if you get a rooster .... ELVIS hahaha

DianeCruz said...

I <3 how you and meme have chickens! This is sooo super cool! Sounds like when those birds start layin eggs we need to plan a sunday brunch,lol!

Rachel K. Lincoln said...

@Diane-lol right!?! I am sure there are way more of us that have 'em too! what should we plan on making??omlettes, fritatas, scrambles, fried, overeasy, we might have to make it all!! ;)

the pattern

Just as soon as you think nothing will ever be the same again...you fall back into life's steady pace. L I F E  R E M E M B E R S  T ...